One day I was told you should write a book but never seem too get that far. These are my shorts

Sunday 7 January 2007

Crying in the night

Crying in the night

She was bending over at the wooden door the sweat pouring off her, her heart beating rapidly I cant possibly do this she thought and she was still feverishly hammering thinking of the horrible noises she had heard down in the dark gloomy basement last night, When she heard a noise stood up straight and turned around too put the hammer down on the table when another hand a cool smooth hand touched hers
She jumped back and dropped the hammer on her foot
“OW”
“Hey babe” her next door neighbor called out
“Didn’t mean too scare you just bringing in some lettuce and tomatoes from me garden you know mine are the freshest around”
He looked at the door then the nails sticking out haphazardly this way and that, bent over some even on the floor, hammer marks on the wood then turned to her standing there with a look on her face like a scared deer under the headlights standing on one leg holding trying too hold her foot in one hand
He hurriedly placed the sack on the counter and grabber her by the shoulder guiding her too a chair,
“Here sit hunny I’ll make you a cup of tea”
“Gordon you know I don’t like tea and I don’t like you calling me hunny either”
But hun’ he stopped himself Helen you look like someone just died and why in the name of all is holy have made such a mess of that door
“Coffee Gordon” she gasped and I’ll tell you all about it

Early this morning I woke to the sound of a baby crying
“Ain’t no babies around here Helen”
“I know that Gordon now don’t interrupt”
I woke too the sound of a baby crying and well I know there aren’t any around here not unless someone’s got one hidden and you know this neighborhood I don’t think that secret would keep long
As I came down the stairs too the kitchen, the crying got louder and more intense it seemed too be coming from the behind that door she pointed too the basement door
It was very dark and very cold down there I’ve never been further than the bottom of the stairs down there in the basement I don’t like it never have
Even though the rest of the house is bright and sunny the basement is cold dark and gloomy and it smells nasty too
I just don’t go down there at all but the crying was coming from down there I just had too go it was so pain filled and the feeling I was getting from it well it was making me cry too I had too go, step by step in the dark each step getting closer too the sound
Suddenly







“Whoa what’s that” Gordon jumped back spilling his coffee on the table
“Oh that Gordon is the source of the crying that cat was trapped down in the basement and it was crying its head off, of course it wasn’t going too sit at the door oh no, I had too go right down and grab it too get it out.
Help me hammer these last few nails into the cat door will you please Gordon otherwise that door will never be opened again and that cats going too wake me up every night

No comments: